This episode of SANDCAST: Beach volleyball with Tri Bourne and Travis Mewhirter features Nick Lucena, one of the top defenders on the AVP and FIVB tours of his generation.
In this episode, we discuss:
- What this year has looked like for Lucena, which began in Doha and ended in a wild trip to Australia
- Playing a fun, no-block tournament with Taylor Crabb
- Why he and Phil Dalhausser decided to split-block in the AVP Chicago tournament in 2018
- What motivates Lucena, who is 41 years old, to continue playing
- The competitive streak that has kept him at the top of his game since his early 20s
- The four-week expedited training schedule he and Dalhausser undertook to prepare for the AVP Champions Cup
- How crazy the U.S. will look without Dalhausser and Jake Gibb in the game after this season
This episode is, as always, brought to you by Wilson volleyball. They make the best balls in the game, and you can get 20 percent off by using our discount code, Sandcast-20.
Be sure to check out our new book, Volleyball for Milkshakes, on Amazon and, if you’re feeling extra magnanimous, drop us a review! It goes a long way.
Thanks as always for listening!